Fellbarrow and Low Fell

I've long been fascinated by the outlying and less frequented Wainwrights. I fancied doing a run that didn't require a long drive early in the morning and one that was a little more forgiving given that my legs were still suffering after the previous day's activities.

Fellbarrow and Low Fell stand alone next to Loweswater. To me they've always looked a bit geographically isolated and not as attractive as their larger cousins across Lorton Vale. Nonetheless, they're there to be climbed/run.

I parked the car at Waterend at the head of Loweswater. There's a decent little car park by the roadside there. Immediately opposite the car park I began my run heading up Grange Lane, a little tarmac road leading to a public bridleway. I headed north on the bridleway. The bridleway is flat and relatively mud-free for the time of year. After approximately a mile, I took a sharp right to the east, following a steep, but clear path up Smithy Fell. The path gets a little lost as you reach the top of Smithy Fell and I ended up having to jump over some fairly boggy patches of ground. From the top of Smithy Fell I took a sharp left and headed north following a decent-isa path towards the summit of Fellbarrow. The top of Fellbarrow is modest, to say the least; a little cairn and an OS trig point. Had the weather been clearer I imagine I'd have had a decent view over northern Cumbria and beyond into Scotland.

The summit of Fellbarrow

From the summit of Fellbarrow I followed a new-ish fence due south towards Sourfoot Fell. The land here undulates and is quite wet underfoot. Saying that, the undulations are steady enough that I built up enough momentum coming down to propel me back up the slopes heading towards Low Fell.

As I approached Low Fell, I found myself in a little dip between two outlying crags. This afforded me a bit of shelter and I took a moment to admire the bits of Grasmoor and Crummock Water I could see through the fine grey mist.
Looking down into Lorton Vale from the approach to Low Fell

Running around Watching Crag and then onto Low Fell I could see why this would be an excellent vantage point to view Crummock Water and Buttermere. It's a shame the visibility wasn't as good as it could have been; still, I was very much enjoying this run.

I took a sharp right off Low Fell and began to descend to what I thought would be where I started...wrong... I first had to re-climb up and over Darling Fell. There's nothing darling about this... I lost about 200m coming down off Low Fell and had to then regain 200m heading up Darling Fell. From Darling Fell I took a zigzag path heading southwest, over a stile, and eventually re-joining the bridleway. I followed the bridleway in the opposite direction until I reached the road, where I then doubled-back, heading to the car.

This is good route and an enjoyable run. It was wet and the visibility wasn't great, but I imagine on a summer's day this would be quite a rewarding route to do again.

Popular posts from this blog

The Dragon's Back Race 2023

Kong Mini Mountain Marathon - Dolgellau