Lancaster Parkrun

This is one I’ve wanted to do for a long time. Lancaster was my second-home in 2005/2006 when Abigail was doing her Masters up there and I quickly warmed to the city.

What I didn’t realise was that the Lancaster Parkrun takes place in Williamson Park around the impressive Ashton Memorial. I only discovered this a few days before whilst working out how to get from our hotel to the Parkrun.

Anyway, on a chilly and rainy October morning, I finally made it to the Lancaster Parkrun. During my warm-up run I knew I was in for a tough one as the start (next to the butterfly house) is a good 100m-150m higher than the lower parts of Williamson Park.

After a very friendly run briefing and a ‘cosy’ start line gathering I was off; within seconds I was descending down the the wide tarmac paths that spiral around the Ashton Memorial. The paths are wide enough to find some space and to get into a comfortable position.  The sharp descent at the start is a little unnerving though, especially on a wet and leafy autumn day. Needless to say, the elevation I’d lost soon had to be regained as the wide paths gave way to a muddy woodland track. A sharp incline up some wide steps in the woods and you’re back to where you started and have the pleasure of doing it all again.

Despite being one of the tougher Parkruns that I’ve undertaken, it was certainly one of the friendliest; it was very well marshalled and there were plenty of people out cheering the runners on. I finished 10th, coming in at 20 minutes 21 seconds.

A very enjoyable (albeit tough) Parkrun and one that I’d like to do again when we’re next passing through.


Popular posts from this blog

The Dragon's Back Race 2023

Kong Mini Mountain Marathon - Dolgellau

Fellbarrow and Low Fell