Llyn Geirionydd & Llyn Crafnant

I tried my best to make the most of our short time in Snowdonia and this run didn't disappoint. Leaving our hostel at Dolwyddelan early, I headed northeast over the Sarn Helen Roman road route. The farm track quickly turns to trail and it wasn't long before I was steadily climbing. The sun started to rise just as I began my descent from Rhiwddolion.

A steep and slippery descent brought me onto the A5, which I followed west for a couple of miles. I was wearing my trail shoes and the tarmac wasn't the nicest surface to be running on. Shortly after Swallow Falls I took a right turn at the Ty-Hyll house, climbing an unrelentingly steep road up to Tynymynydd, where I then turned left and followed the forest road to Llyn Geirionydd.

Llyn Geirionydd looked beautiful in morning sun; a light mist hung over the water and the valley was perfectly silent. I followed the eastern bank of the lake before bearing west over the steep forest trail into the adjoining valley. Water was running down through the rocks and it was a battle to stay upright on the slippery stones. Doubling back on myself, I followed a wider track down through the forest and onto the shore of Llyn Crafnant. This was one of my favourite parts of the run; the sun was now up and the water was shining through cracks in the trees.

Following the course of the valley I headed south and then east, passing tiny cottages and farm houses. I then took a sharp right, heading east up a very steep and very dark forest track. The track seemed to go on forever and at a gradient of about 35% it wasn't particularly forgiving on the knees. Reaching the top I then picked my way down through a more well-maintained forest road, heading south back towards the A5.

At this point things went a bit wrong. My route should have taken me through Glyn Farm, across the A5 and south through the forest towards Dolwyddelan. However, at Glyn Farm I couldn't find a route through without passing through the farm yard. I was hesitant because there was a private property sign on the gate and a two sheepdogs barking crazily at me from their pen. I didn't want to risk encountering any of their mates, so I decided to go off course and find an alternate route to the A5. This alternate route brought me out behind Ty-Hyll house. By this point I'd headed too far to the east to realistically head west again to re-pick up the route, so I chose to stick to the A5, following it through Betws-y-Coed. For whatever reason I thought it would be easier to simply follow the A5 rather than head back over Sarn Helen. This was a mistake as it meant the remaining five miles of my run were a horrid slog along the A5 and A470.

I got back to the hostel absolutely exhausted. However, ignoring the remaining five miles or so, this was a stunning run.

Popular posts from this blog

The Dragon's Back Race 2023

Kong Mini Mountain Marathon - Dolgellau

Fellbarrow and Low Fell