Long Mynd Valleys fell race

The Long Mynd Valleys fell race; the first fixture in the English Fell Running Championships 2023. When the fixtures were published in late 2022, my eyes were immediately drawn to this fixture. I've never been to the Shropshire Hills and so there was a certain allure to this 11 mile loop of the Long Mynd. 

Organised by Mercia Fell Runners, their website warns of a tough and unrelenting course - not one for the faint hearted. Still, needing to get metres of ascent into my legs ahead of the Dragons Back Race in September, I signed myself up. We used this as an opportunity for a weekend away, staying in Shrewsbury the evening before, followed by two nights in my home county of Cheshire afterwards.  

Having collected my race number and dibber from the local school, I made my way up towards the start which was close to the National Trust car park in the Carding Mill Valley. At 11.05am, we were off. Being a championship race it was popular, but the first few 200 metres are on the tarmac track giving people plenty of time to jostle for position.

The route takes a swift right turn over the rocky Bodbury Hill. Hands on knees, we all haul ourselves up the first of the seven 'big' climbs. In fell races I'm always struck by the sound of everyone's breathing when a big hill comes up and this was no different. Reaching the top, the route meanders north and then northwest. I was able to build into a bit of a rhythm; overtaking a couple of people before the steep descent into Jonathan's Hollow - CP1. I hit this descent far too fast and my thighs felt like jelly as soon as I reached the valley bottom. I immediately paid for this as we were no sooner climbing back out of the valley on climb no.2 - exactly the sort of climb I hate - a steep start followed by a long and gradual incline for a further half mile.

Eventually, the gradient eases and the route then heads southwest over the heathery common. Joining up with the Shropshire Way, I manage to regain a rhythm and I'm reassured that my heart rate has come down to something a bit more sensible. After what seems like an age, I reach CP2 and then start the (more comfortable) descent into the Long Synalds Valley. The scenery here is beautiful and I'm buoyed as I can feel my body finally relaxing into the run.



A right turn at CP3 and a climb over Round Hill is shortly followed by another descent to CP4, followed by another climb. I'm trying to count the climbs off, recognising now that I'd done 3 of the 7. A sharp left turn at CP5 then follows. CP5 is significant as this was the first 'time out' point. The time out was 1.05pm and, looking at my watch, I was pleased to see it was only 12.20pm. 

Following Minton Batch southeast, the route descends gently to CP6 where all height has to once again be regained with an unrelenting climb up Windy Batch. At this point I could feel my legs starting to tire - nearly there, I told myself. Alas, more undulation awaited as I passed over Grindle Hollow and up to the summit of Nills where a lovely fella at CP7 gave me some Jelly Babies. 

Descending down to CP8 (the second 'time out' point) I realised my thighs were now absolutely knackered. Following the stream to Ashes Hollow, I began to feel the energy draining away from me - one more hill I told myself.

Unfortunately, that final hill is the worst of them all - a steep and unrelenting climb onto Yearlet. Some runners opted to head up the nose. Myself and five or six others opted to contour around to the east. It didn't really matter; by now I was on all fours crawling metre by metre. I'm not sure I've ever tackled an incline quite like this. Telling myself I was near the top really didn't help - the people ahead of me looked like tiny ants. Nevertheless, with my time draining away, I kept chugging on. Ahead of me, I hear a friendly voice: "come on - you're nearly there". A helpful volunteer had come down from the summit and was giving people words of encouragement. 

Before long I reach the summit of Yearlet. The relief of a gentle descent down to the road crossing was a real blessing after that climb. At this point I realised that I'd lost the route; I knew I needed to head down to Devilsmouth Hollow but by now I'd managed to disorientated myself. I pulled out the map, re-orientated and, after a momentary panic, re-found the route. A steep final descent down into the Carding Mill Valley and I was done; 2 hrs 45 mins.

Despite being a tough and testing route, I absolutely loved this race. I have work to do on my fitness as I started to lose time in the final third (which wasn't helped by that climb onto Yearlet). Thanks to Mercia Fell Runners for such a well organised and friendly race!






Popular posts from this blog

The Dragon's Back Race 2023

Kong Mini Mountain Marathon - Dolgellau

Fellbarrow and Low Fell