Fell Foot parkrun

It was a typical Cumbrian morning; wet and breezy. I was staying near Sedburgh for a friend's stag-do-that-wasn't-a-stag-do; basically a collective of geeks, nerds and outdoor enthusiasts in a converted barn in the middle of nowhere. I reckon more board games were brought than alcohol. Anyway, never one to miss an opportunity I escaped early and made the seventy mile round-trip to Fell Foot park, Newby Bridge.

This is a parkrun that I've wanted to do for ages. We travel to the Lakes four or five times a year and I'd never managed to get it to work logistically; until now. I parked in the National Trust car park (free for members, obviously) and decided to brave the rain and go for a warm up. A couple of hardy volunteers were already out and about placing cones and putting up signage.


The park is beautiful, even in the greyest of conditions. I had a vague idea of where the course would run and followed this as part of my warm up. I followed the shore of Windermere along into the gated meadow area. There was some grazing cattle in the meadow and I caused a mini stampede as they ran away from me. Annoyingly for them, they kept running in the same direction as me and so to any passersby it would have looked like these four bullocks were being chased by a drenched and skinny runner. Anyway, they eventually found some peace in the middle of the meadow.

My mates...

After dumping my jacket in the car it was soon time to take my place in the start area. There was a decent turn out despite the weather. Listening to people's accents and eavesdropping on conversation, this looks to be a popular one with tourists. The runners received a warm and enthusiastic welcome from the run director and within minutes we were off.

The course snakes around some gravel paths, taking a sharp turn as you reach the lake shore and then heads south around the meadow. I was in the leading pack of four or five people. A very young chap from Helm Hill Runners was running in front of me and it took me a while to overtake him. The path around the meadow is grassy and undulating, but nothing too terrifying. I managed to overtake another runner and, at this point, settled into second place. The chap in first place was probably 50-60 metres ahead of me.


After a loop around the meadow, the course then heads north again towards the start area and over the sloping paths near the park entrance. There were lots of friendly and supportive volunteers standing in the rain encouraging everyone on. A second loop of the park then follows. I felt good and knew that I was running at a decent pace. I wondered whether I'd be able to catch the chap in first place but it seemed like it might be a stretch. One helpful volunteer in the corner of the meadow (who was playing music from a portable speaker!) told me that I had a lead on third place of around 80 metres as a I passed her. That was enough for me and so I kept things steady on the final stretch. I passed through the finish funnel in second place in 18.28.

This is a genuinely lovely parkrun; the course is varied and spacious and the surroundings are beautiful, added to the fact that the volunteering team are really friendly and helpful.

To all at Fell Foot parkrun...thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

The Dragon's Back Race 2023

Kong Mini Mountain Marathon - Dolgellau

Fellbarrow and Low Fell