Northwich Parkrun

Finally my hometown has a Parkrun! Despite now living over 200 miles away, I'd spotted some mutterings on Facebook and in other places about a Northwich Parkrun. It's had a junior Parkrun for some time now, so I thought it was only a matter of time before it would get its own proper one.

I managed to work it so that Abigail and I could be staying at my mum and dad's place en route to the Lake District; in doing so, I was able to get to the inaugural event.

The course is based in Carey Park, just to the north of the town centre. There is ample free car parking nearby, although I took advantage of its proximity to my parents' place by running there.

After a friendly welcome from Amy the Run Director and some warm applause for everyone that made the event happen and we were off. The first mile is a loop around the gravel track circling the large cow field; midway through the loop there's an energy-sapping hill/switchback to watch out for. After mile 1, you then deviate over Witton Brook and on to the wooded path heading towards Marbury Country Park. At mile 2 you turn south, skirting around the edge of Neumann's Flash before the final sprint towards the finish.

I came second, which I'm quite pleased with for an inaugural event. Overall it's a lovely course, with lots of nice views of the river and woodland. I should also say that the team got the results uploaded remarkably quickly!


Popular posts from this blog

The Dragon's Back Race 2023

Kong Mini Mountain Marathon - Dolgellau

Fellbarrow and Low Fell